Skip to main content

After a Disaster

Get help after a disaster finding family and friends, temporary housing, emergency food, tips to let people know you are safe and steps to replace important vital documents. Also, learn what to do before and after returning to your damaged home and how to start cleaning up.

, call 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678Đang chơi bài). This is the hotline for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. They also run an . If you find one of these kids, report it there..

  • Get by using the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUS). The program can help with printing missing person posters, getting free forensic services like DNA analysis, and more. 

  • Let Family and Friends Know You’re Safe After a Disaster

    If you are safe after a disaster, national emergency or overseas civil unrest and want to let people know your status or reunite with family: 

    • Đang chơi bài so family and friends can find you. 

    • FEMA's emergency family locator system helps people connect during presidentially-declared disasters. Call 1-800-588-9822Đang chơi bài, 24 hours a day when it has been activated. 

    • Before you go abroad, enroll in the. STEP is the State Department's free travel alert system. Using STEP, U.S. embassies can contact you or help family find you when you're traveling abroad. Get more information about what you can do to stay safe while traveling outside the U.SĐang chơi bài.    

    to 4FEMA (43362), Example: SHELTER 01234. (Standard text message rates apply.)

  • Đang chơi bàiFind open shelters using the .

  • Đang chơi bàiSearch online for .

  • Đang chơi bàiLearn more about .

    after a disaster, you can:

    • Find an open emergency shelter

    • Listen to local radio or TV to locate disaster feeding sites

    • Check with local agencies for

    Get Food Assistance After a Disaster With D-SNAP Benefits

    If the president has declared your area as a disaster zone, you may be able to get short-term financial assistance for food under the D-SNAP program. If you’re in your home, follow guidelines for or flood.

    Create Safe Drinking Water After an Emergency

    If you need emergency water and can’t get bottled water, you can make by either boiling it or disinfecting it with bleach. Boiling water is the better choice because it kills more of the bacteria that can make you sick.

    • If the water is cloudy, let it settle and then filter it through a clean cloth or coffee filter.
    • Boil water for one minute. Let it cool before storing.
    • If you can’t boil it, add 8 drops (⅛ teaspoon) of 6% unscented household liquid bleach to a gallon of water. Stir it and let it sit for 30 minutes.
    • If you don’t have bleach, look in your medicine cabinet or first aid kit for iodine. Use five drops of 2% tincture of iodine for each quart of water. You can also use water purification tablets, found at pharmacies and sporting goods stores.
    • Store water in clean containers with covers.
    Đang chơi bài .

    As clean-up begins, and find out who to contact to dispose of them properly. You can also get tips on how to to prevent injury and illness.

    Đang chơi bàiNatural disasters can cause damage to records and heirloom treasures. These items can include family papers, books, photographs, and other media. Find . You can also .

    . Ask if you can pick up your mail there or request to have your mail forwarded to a temporary location.

    2. Replace Your U.S. Birth Certificate

    in the state where you were born. Check to see if you can get a certified copy of your birth certificate with no identification. If you can, follow the ordering instructions.

    • Some states accept alternate ways to verify your ID. You may have to contact your state to find out what it requires. For example:

      • A state may accept your sworn statement of identity.

      • Đang chơi bàiAnother state may accept a notarized letter from your mother or father whose name is on your birth certificate, along with a copy of their photo ID.

    • If you do need your own government-issued photo ID to get a copy of your birth certificate, start with step 3.

    3. Replace Your Driver’s License

    Get this first if you can’t get your birth certificate.

    • Check with your state for its procedures. In some states, you can order a replacement online without providing any ID.

    4. Replace Your Green Card

    If you are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., .

    5. Replace Your Naturalization or Citizenship Documents

    • Đang chơi bàiIf you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, follow the steps to apply to .

    • If you don’t have a copy of your original documents to submit with your application, .

    6. Replace Your Marriage Certificate

    Đang chơi bàiYou’ll need a certified copy as proof if you changed your name when you got married.

    7. Replace Your Social Security Card

    • Đang chơi bàiFirst, . Most of the time, you’ll just need to know your number and not show your card.

    • Đang chơi bàiIf you do need a card, follow the steps to .

    8. Report Your Lost or Destroyed U.S. Passport and Apply for a Replacement

    • Report a lost or destroyed passport to the State Department immediately.

    • Đang chơi bài to apply for a new passport.

    • Depending on when you’re traveling, bring it to either a passport acceptance facility or a passport agency or center.

      • Bring a certified copy of your birth certificate or naturalization papers and a government-issued photo ID.

    9. Replace Other Important Documents

    for assistance. You can also visit "" on the Department of State (DOS) website. 

    Learn How the Department of State Can Help in an Emergency

    Đang chơi bàiEmbassies can help with:

    • Đang chơi bài and foreign crises

    • Lost or stolen passports

    • Medical emergencies

    • Đang chơi bàiCrime or arrest

    • Đang chơi bàiMissing persons

    • Đang chơi bàiParental child abductions

    • Đang chơi bàiDeath abroad


    Find Help Getting Money in an Emergency Abroad

    Đang chơi bàiThe Department of State can assist you in an emergency . If you have no other way to get money, you may be able to get a temporary loan through the DOS or a .

    Note: If you get a loan through DOS or a U.S. Embassy or consulate, you must repay it.  Call 1-800-521-2116 from the U.S. or 843-746-0592Đang chơi bài from abroad if you have any questions.

    Share This Page:

    Do you have a question?

    Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

    Last Updated: August 31, 2020