Credit Card Guides
Đang chơi bàiGet tips to help you choose and use a credit card:
- - Learn about important things to consider when choosing a credit card, such as customer service, transaction fees, and more.
- - Find out how to plan for, shop around, and get a credit card that best suits your needs.
- - Get the basics on using your credit card, including refunds, errors, disputes, unauthorized charges, and security.
- Fairness - By prohibiting certain practices that are unfair or abusive, such as hiking up the rate on an existing balance, or allowing you to go overlimit and then imposing an overlimit fee
- Transparency - Making the rates and fees on credit cards more transparent, so you can understand how much you’re paying for your credit card
Dispute a Credit Card Charge
Đang chơi bàiUnder the , you have the right to dispute charges on your credit card that you didn't make or are incorrect, or for goods or services you didn't receive. To dispute a charge, follow these guidelines:
- Send a letter to the creditor within 60 days of the postmark of the bill with the disputed charge.
- Include your name and account number, the date and amount of the disputed charge, and a complete explanation of why you’re disputing the charge.
- To ensure it is received, send your letter by certified mail with a return receipt requested.
- The creditor or card issuer must acknowledge your letter in writing within 30 days of receiving it and conduct an investigation within 90 days. You do not have to pay the amount in dispute during the investigation.
- If there was an error, the creditor must credit your account and remove any fees.
- If the bill is correct, you must be told in writing what you owe and why. You must pay it along with any related finance charges.
- If you do not agree with the creditor's decision, file an appeal with the .
File a Complaint
Đang chơi bàiFor problems with your credit card company, call the number on the back of your card or . This includes issues with managing your credit card account, billing disputes, changes to your annual percentage rate (APR), and unauthorized transactions. If you can’t resolve the issue, ask for the name, address, and phone number of the card company's regulatory agency.may offer you other protections that are not typically advertised?
When using your credit card for travel purchases, your credit card issuer may offer you travel insurance in certain situations:
- Your trip is delayed.
- You have to cancel your trip because you or a family member becomes ill.
- Your luggage gets lost during travel.
If you rent a car, you may be offered auto insurance coverage as part of the rental. Some credit card networks even offer return assistance programs that extend the window for returning unused merchandise. Keep in mind: the rules vary between cards and the issuers.
Đang chơi bài to learn about special protections your card offers. Agreements also cover the fees, features, terms, and conditions of your credit card. Learn more by .
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.
Last Updated: April 11, 2019