Check Doctor Accreditations
Before making an appointment, learn about a doctor’s credentials.
- Check to see if your doctors are licensed to practice medicine in the state you live. A state or local occupational and will be able to give you this information.
- Use the to find out if a doctor is board-certified in the appropriate specialty.
- Look into how often or how well a medical professional has treated patients with your condition. Contact your state’s health department.
- taken against your health care provider.
Check Hospitals and Other Health Care Facilities
- Get information about the .
- Check the list of accredited hospitals, surgical centers, mental health centers, and physical rehabilitation facilities.
Get Help with Lowering Health Care Costs
- Find suggestions to lower your medical costs.
Long-Term Care Insurance
Most health insurance plans and Medicare severely limit or exclude long-term care. If you want coverage, you may need a separate long-term care insurance policy. You should consider the cost of long-term care insurance as you plan for retirement.
Đang chơi bàiThese questions can help you evaluate long-term care insurance policies.
- What qualifies you for benefits? Some insurers say you must be unable to perform a specific number of the following activities of daily living: eating, walking, getting from bed to a chair, dressing, bathing, using a toilet, and remaining continent.
- What type of care is covered? Does the policy cover nursing home care? What about coverage for assisted living facilities that provide less client care than a nursing home? If you want to stay in your home, will it pay for care provided by visiting nurses and therapists? What about help with food preparation and housecleaning?
- What will the benefits amount be? Most plans are written to provide a specific dollar benefit per day. The benefit for home care is usually about half the nursing-home benefit. But some policies pay the same for both forms of care. Other plans pay only for your actual expenses.
- What is the benefits period? It is possible to get a policy with lifetime benefits but this can be very expensive. Other options for coverage are from one to six years. The average nursing home stay is about 2.5 years.
- Is the benefit adjusted for inflation? If you buy a policy prior to age 60, you face the risk that a fixed daily benefit will not be enough by the time you need it.
- Is there a waiting period before benefits begin? A 20 to 100 day period is not unusual.
Complaints about Long-Term Care
Đang chơi bàiTo report an emergency where there is immediate danger, call 911 or contact your local authorities.
If you have a complaint about a long-term-care facility, reach out to the to find a state's long-term care ombudsman program.
Đang chơi bàiIf you have an elder abuse complaint, contact your long-term ombudsman or local resources.. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) runs the program.
Đang chơi bàiBenefits include:
at VA medical facilities
Đang chơi bài depending on needs, income, and space availability
Care from when the VA can't provide what you need. This is based on certain conditions and eligibility requirements.
Find VA Medical Facilities
When you sign up for VA health benefits, you'll pick . The VA may refer you to other locations for specialty care.
Use the VA facility locator to .
Check Your Eligibility
You may qualify for VA health benefits if:
You served on active duty, and
Đang chơi bàiYou didn't receive a dishonorable discharge
Learn more about to see if you qualify.
Apply for Medical Benefits
Đang chơi bàiYou can online, by phone, mail, or in person. The VA will make its decision within one week.
Manage Your Care with My HealtheVet
Đang chơi bàiUse the website to:
Đang chơi bàiOrder prescription refills
Đang chơi bàiSchedule appointments
Đang chơi bàiSend secure messages to your VA health care team
View lab and test results
View, download, and print your medical records
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.
Đang chơi bàiLast Updated: April 23, 2019