Homeless Services and Resources
If you’re facing homelessness, these tips can help you prepare for and work through the situation.
If You’re About to Become Homeless
Make sure your state ID or driver’s licenseĐang chơi bài is current and available. Shelters and assistance programs may have strict ID requirements.
Đang chơi bàiIf possible, store your belongings. Shelters have limits on how much you may bring.
Arrange for your mail to be delivered somewhere or talk to your local post office. Many have special services for people who are homeless. You may be able to get a .
Đang chơi bàiPack a bag for yourself and each member of your family.
Keep important documents and needed medications with you.
. You can also check your local government or state's human or social servicesĐang chơi bài programs for housing assistance. Or, use . The types of facilities vary. Research the best options for:
Đang chơi bàiCost - Most shelters are free, but some may charge a small fee. Most facilities that provide residential drug or alcohol rehabilitation programs charge a fee. Many, however, are low cost, accept Medicaid, or operate on a sliding scale based on your income.
Length of stay - This can vary from a couple of weeks to several months.
Types of services - Some facilities just provide safe shelter for the night, while others are transitional. They provide both housing and support services. They may help you with substance abuse, mental health, domestic violence, or job training.
Apply for more permanent public or subsidized housing. Typically, there are long waiting lists for public and subsidized housing. Apply as soon as possible.
Homeless Resources for Special Groups
These resources are geared toward specific audiences:
) - Use these resources to find safe housing. Or, explore opportunities to return to employment, find health care, or get mental health services.
Đang chơi bàiCall the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans hotline at 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838). You can find help 24 hours a day.
Call the National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929).
- Find stable, safe housing. You can also get education help, survival aid, counseling, crisis intervention, and follow-up support.
People with Mental Illness
Other Types of Help if You’re Homeless
Đang chơi bàiVisit to find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for other types of help. This may include financial assistance, transportation, food, counseling, and more.
Đang chơi bàiIf you don’t have medical insurance, you can use . They give checkups, treatment when you’re sick, pregnancy care, and immunizations for your children.
- This program helps very low-income families, seniors, and people with disabilities afford housing in the private market. - This program subsidizes independent living-type apartments for seniors that offer services like cleaning, cooking, and transportation. Use the and choose "Find Affordable Elderly and Special Needs Housing." - This site offers information and resources on housing options for older adults.
Age Discrimination Complaints
If you believe you were a victim of age discrimination, you may . You may also view information on the .
Đang chơi bàiThe following resources may also help:
- Contact a HUD approved if you have questions about your situation.
- provides care and companionship for seniors who need help or supervision during the day.
- provide services to those who need some help but do not require constant care.
- provides information on the type of help you should look for and general advice on how to find and pay for it. The on Medicare.gov supplies information on local home health agencies, including how well they care for their patients.
- The provides contact information for groups that have information for or help older people. You may contact the NIA or call ( 1-800-222-2225) or TTY (1-800-222-4225).
.To live on a reservation, contact a local .
You may also locate your or call 1-800-569-4287Đang chơi bài to locate the agency nearest you.
Native American Housing Programs
- - administers housing and community development programs to ensure that safe, decent, and affordable housing is available to Native American families.
- - provide financial help for Indian tribes to develop affordable housing and to provide housing activities on a reservation or Indian area. Guidebooks available.
- - provides home repair, renovation, replacement, and new housing grants.
- - Funding resources from Federal, tribal and state agencies for tribal green building.
Housing Choice (Section 8) voucher programs
Learn about eligibility, how to apply, and more for each of these programs.
Đang chơi bàiIf you’re buying a home, can help pay mortgage and homeownership expenses.
Đang chơi bài offers loans and grants to homeowners in rural areas who:
Đang chơi bàiRemove health hazards
Đang chơi bàiMake home modifications to accommodate a household member with a physical disability.
If you are a veteran with a service-connected or age-related disability, you may be eligible for a housing grant to build or modify a homeĐang chơi bài for your needs.
Independent Living Skills
Contact your state to find out how its department of human services or disability office may be able to assist with:
How do I complain?
You may need things like ramps, grab bars, or service animals. Housing providers cannot deny someone housing because of a disability. And they cannot refuse to make reasonable accommodations for a tenant with a disability. and if you feel that you’ve been a victim of housing discrimination.
. These programs help service members, veterans, and surviving spouses buy, refinance, or modify their home. The VA guarantees part of the loan, meaning they will cover a portion of the loan if you default. This allows lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies, to offer you more favorable terms.
Learn if You’re Eligible and How to Apply for a VA Loan
- - You must meet the credit and income requirements and get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
- - You can apply online, through your lender, or by mail.
VA Loans for Homebuying and Refinancing
- If you're planning to buy a home, check into . The most common are VA purchase loans. This type requires .
- If you have an existing VA home loan, you can apply for an to save money with a better interest rate.
VA Loans and Grants for Home Improvements
- You can get a VA to get money from your home’s equity. This can help you pay for home improvements, college costs, and more.
If you have a service-connected or age-related disability, you may be eligible for a veteran housing grantĐang chơi bài. These grants help you modify your home for disabilities related to military service or aging.
. This includes nursing homes, assisted living, and .
If you need in-home care so you can remain at home, the VA may be able to help. Call the VA Health Care Benefits number at 1-877-222-8387. Or, contact the .
Another option for some military retirees and other veterans is the . The AFRH has two locations: Washington, DC, and Gulfport, MS. Both offer recreation and wellness services including assisted living and skilled care.
Do you have a question?
Đang chơi bài
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.
Đang chơi bàiLast Updated:
November 20, 2020