Skip to main content

Military Records and Identification

Answers to common questions about IDs and how to change or request military records.

Đang chơi bài . The NPRC houses many types of records, including . These files can include the and show a veteran’s service history, which may include:

  • Enlistment or appointment and separation dates

  • Duty stations and assignments

  • Training and qualifications

  • Awards

  • Disciplinary actions

Đang chơi bàiVeterans’ health and medical records are located in various places, depending on their branch and date of separation. See this .

Before World War I

Đang chơi bàiYou can find in Washington, D.C. 

Request Recent Military Records (World War I - Present)

If You Are a Veteran or Next-of-Kin

To get a copy of the vet’s military records, you can:

  • Đang chơi bài (then print and mail)

Most requests are free.

If You Are Not the Veteran or Next-of-Kin

You can only get limited information about non-archival records without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin. Non-archival records are those from 62 years ago to the present.

Request Older Military Records (Before World War I)

You can online or with a downloadable form. You may have to pay a fee for copies of , including those of veterans discharged more than 62 years ago.

Check the Status of Your Military Records Request

Đang chơi bàiTo check the status of your order for recent records (World War I - Present), . For older military records (generally before 1917), .

are U.S. government property for use only by the issued card holder.

Get or Replace a Military ID Card

  • Đang chơi bàiUse the . It's accessible from any computer to find nearby military ID card issuing offices. Be sure to check a location's details or call that office to verify ID card issuing hours. Some locations allow or require you to make an appointment

    • Call the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) at 1-800-538-9552Đang chơi bài if you can't reach the ID card office by phone.

  • Be sure to bring the  to the ID Card office.

  • For help with the RAPIDS Site Locator, call worldwide 1-800-477-8227.

Report a Lost/Stolen ID Card

  • Đang chơi bàiIf you are a military member, report lost/stolen cards to your base security officer or through your chain of command.

  • If you find a military ID card, return it to the nearest ID card issuing facility using the . For help with the RAPIDS Site Locator, call worldwide 1-800-477-8227.

  • Đang chơi bàiOr, mail it to:

ATTN: CAC Returns
1600 N. Beauregard St., Suite 100
Đang chơi bàiAlexandria, VA 22312

Veterans Identification Card (VIC) 

VIC is a new veterans ID card. It’s proof of your military service and includes your photo and a unique identification number. If you get the card, you will no longer need to carry your DD-214 papers with you.

  • - You must have an honorable discharge from the military.

  • Đang chơi bài - You must log on to to apply online. 

Đang chơi bàiFind other helpful information about VIC:

  • Đang chơi bàiIf you already have a Veterans Health Insurance Card (VHIC), you don’t need to have the new veterans ID card. 

  • VIC is not a substitute for other government-issued identification such as a driver’s license. 


Veteran Health Identification Card

Đang chơi bàiThe is for use at Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical facilities. If you're enrolled in , you'll receive one.

  • Đang chơi bàiFor changes to a service record, submit

  • For more information, contact:

    • Đang chơi bài(for Navy and Marine Corps members and veterans) 

    Share This Page:

    Do you have a question?

    Đang chơi bài Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

    Last Updated: November 30, 2020