U.S. Passport Eligibility
To have a U.S. passport, you need to be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization or be a .
Passport Book and Passport Card
Đang chơi bàiDepending on where you are traveling outside of the U.S., you will need to determine if you need a .
A passport book is required for all international travel by air.
Đang chơi bàiTo enter the United States at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda, you can use a passport book or a passport card.
A passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book, but it cannot be used for international travel by air.
How to Apply for a U.S. Passport
Đang chơi bàiThe application process is the same for either the passport book or card, even if you want both at the same time. You have to go in person to present your application.
From Within the United States
If you need to get a passport in three weeks or less, you will need an expedited process. To find out where you need to go and what additional fees you’ll pay, follow the steps to get a passport quickly.
If you will be traveling in more than three weeks, you can follow the regular application process and apply in person at a .
From Outside the United States
Contact the near you for information and forms to
Items You Need to Apply for a U.S. Passport
Application Form - To complete the application for a passport book, card, or both together, first do one of the following:
Fill out the application online. Use the to step through the process of filling out the application. When you’ve completed the application, print it out to take to the passport acceptance facility. Passport applications cannot be submitted online.
Fill out the application by hand.Đang chơi bài Download the and complete the application by hand, or go to a to get a copy to fill out.
Whether you fill it out online or by hand, it is important that you do not sign the formĐang chơi bài until you are instructed to do so in front of a passport designated official you will meet when applying in person.
- You’ll need to bring all of the following:
An original proof of citizenship document
An acceptable photo ID document
A photocopy of the front and back of the citizenship document and photo ID document
Passport photoĐang chơi bài - Follow the .
Payment - Calculate your .
Every person, regardless of age, must have their own passport to travel internationally by air.
Eligibility to Renew a U.S. Passport
To have a U.S. passport, you need to be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalizationĐang chơi bài or be a .
You can renew your current or expired U.S. passport unless your passport was:
Issued before your 16th birthday
Issued 15 or more years ago
Đang chơi bàiIssued in your previous name and you don’t have a legal document like a marriage license to prove your legal name change
If any of these are true, you cannot renew your passportĐang chơi bài. Instead, you must apply for a using form DS-11.
How to Renew Your Passport
If you need to get a passport quicklyĐang chơi bài--in three weeks or less--you will need to have your passport renewal expedited and pay additional fees.
Call the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment at a . There are two options for getting an appointment:
At your appointment, you’ll need to provide proof of immediate travel, an expedited fee, and the items listed below to renew your passport.
If you will be traveling in more than three weeks, you can submit an application by .
If you live outside the U.S. or CanadaĐang chơi bài: Contact the near you for information and forms on all .
Items You Need to Renew Your Passport
Application form - Use the renewal application . You can print it and fill it out by hand, or use the to complete the form online and print it out. While applications can be filled out online, they cannot be submitted online. You can also get a DS-82 form at a local passport acceptance facility or regional agency.
Passport photo - Follow the .
PaymentĐang chơi bài - Include your .
Your most .
If your name has changedĐang chơi bài, you’ll need a .
The Passport Services Office returns the official documents you submit as supporting documentation.
Tips on When to Renew Your Passport
Đang chơi bàiRenew your passport approximately nine months before it expires.
Đang chơi bàiCheck the expiration date because certain countries require passports to remain valid for up to 6 months after travel. Also, some airlines do not allow you to board if you don't meet this requirement.
If you travel frequently, check the “52 page” box at the top of your passport application to receive a larger passport book with 52 pages.
For more information, .. Learn more about the .
Under normal conditions:
You can request and if you're:
Traveling in 24-48 hours. This is only in an emergency such as a serious illness, injury, or death in your immediate family.
Traveling within 2-3 weeks. You must have proof of immediate international travel (for example, purchased airline or cruise tickets).
Đang chơi bàiFollow these steps for an expedited service request in person:
1. Make an appointment with. Make the appointment through the National Passport Information Center. You can either:
Đang chơi bàiCall the 24-hour automated appointment system at 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793 or
Use the State Department's At your passport agency appointment, submit your application in person.
2. If your trip is not within 2-3 weeks, but you need your passport sooner than the normal 6-8 weeks, you can request expedited service.
Đang chơi bàiRequest expedited service in person at a near you
Expedited service costs an extra $60, plus any delivery costs.
Đang chơi bài Call the 24-hour automated appointment system at 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793 or use the State Department's .
3. At your passport agency appointment, submit your application in person.
- If your trip is not within 2-3 weeks, but you need your U.S. passport more quickly than the normal processing period of 6 to 8 weeks, you can or in person at a near you.
- In addition to the regular passport application costs, the expedited service will cost an extra $60, plus any delivery costs.
Be present with their children
Co-sign the application
Provide a signed, notarized statement saying they know that their child is seeking a passport or
Attend the appointment with them
Đang chơi bàiIf you're living overseas, contact a or consulate in the country you're in for information on how to apply for your child's passport.
Protections for Children in Custody Disputes
If you think your child has been abducted internationally, call the Department of State at 1-888-407-4747. Ask to speak to a prevention officer.
The Department of State has other resources to help .
Learn about the and how to enroll your kids.
Đang chơi bàiFind out how to protect your child if they have, or may have, dual nationality.
Đang chơi bài vary throughout the year. But, there is a way to get a . You can online 7-10 days after applying.
Đang chơi bàiIf you have questions about passports, please contact the .Đang chơi bài
If you are outside the U.S., ask your what . This applies to passport renewals or applications for new passports.
RENEW a passport by mail
You can renew your passport only if it's undamaged and all of the following apply:
- It was issued less than 15 years ago.
- You were 16 or older when you got it.
- It’s in your current name (or you can legally document the name change).
What you’ll need to provide
- Form DS-82
- Your eligible passport book
- Proof of name change if your name is different than the one on your old passport (marriage certificate or court order)
- Color passport photo
- Fee payment (check or money order)
For more information, see
Apply for a NEW passport in person
For any of the following:
- It’s your first passport.
- Your last passport was damaged or lost.
- Your last passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
- Your name has changed and you have no supporting legal documents.
- It’s for a child under age 16.
To get a new passport, you must go to a local passport acceptance facility. Some passport acceptance facilities require appointments. Many provide passport photos for a fee.
Đang chơi bàiFind a nearby location:
Đang chơi bàiPassport acceptance facilities can be post offices, libraries, or county courts.
What you’ll need to provide
- Form DS-11
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (such as a birth or naturalization certificate)
- Government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or military ID)
- Color passport photo
- Fee payment (check or money order)
Additional requirements for a child’s passport
- Proof of relationship to child
- Both parents and the child must appear in person or submit a consent form signed by an absent parent.
Đang chơi bàiFor more information, see
Đang chơi bàiFor more on children’s passports, see
How long does it take to get or renew a passport?
Processing times change seasonally. Always check for current estimates. Typically:
- Routine service - 6-8 weeks (by mail or in person)
- Expedited service -2-3 weeks (by mail or in person)
- Expedited service at agency locations - 8 business days, based on either of the following needs:
- Immediate life or death emergency
- Traveling within two weeks
Requirements for expedited service at passport agency locations
- You must show proof of emergency or upcoming travel in person at one of 26 regional passport agencies.
- You must have an appointment. Schedule one online at or call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.
Passport Book vs. Passport Card
- Required for all international air travel
- Valid for all travel destinations
- Valid for travel by air,land, or sea
- Valid for international travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda only
- Costs less than the passport book
1-877-487-2778 / 1-888-874-7793 (TTY/TTD) 24/7
Brought to you by USAGOV
Đang chơi bàiNumber one: Complete and print a DS-11 form using our Online Form Filler (print only, do not sign).
Đang chơi bàiNumber two: Find your child’s original birth certificate or other evidence of U.S. citizenship.
Number three: Show parental relationship (e.g. adoption decree or birth certificate).
Đang chơi bàiNumber four: Collect your ID and the ID for the child’s other parent/legal guardian.
Number five: Make front and back photocopies of both the child’s citizenship evidence and both your photo IDs.
Number six: Find an acceptance facility at iafdb.travel.state.gov. You, your child, and other parent/legal guardian go to an acceptance facility.
Number seven: Submit all original documents and photocopies to the acceptance facility. Both parents/guardians must approve your child having a passport.
Number eight: Bring the completed, unsigned DS-11 form and pay the fees for your child’s passport. Make sure to bring 2 checks. Some (not all) facilities take photos.
Đang chơi bàiVisit travel.state.gov/passports/children for more information. Apply for your passport several months prior to travel.
Do you have a question?
Đang chơi bài Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.
Đang chơi bàiLast Updated: October 2, 2020