- Know the rules for getting yourself, your family and your carry-on items through the .
- The created a national standard for state-issued IDs. Some states' driver's licenses don't comply with those standards. Starting October 1, 2021, travelers with state driver's licenses that do not comply with those standards will need to board domestic flights. and when you need to present an alternate ID.
- and learn to the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Get real-time information on airport status, flight delays, and security wait times with the or with these .
- Learn about that help you get through airport security and international travel processing faster.
- Learn more about and TSA tips for .
- Find rules for including getting them through security, bringing them in the passenger cabin or keeping them safe in the cargo hold.
For many people, a state-issued driver’s license or identification card is their REAL ID. REAL ID-compliant driver’s licenses and ID cards all have a star marking on the upper part of the ID card.
Check to see if your driver’s license is REAL ID-compliant. See the question under “For the Public” on this page.
Why do I need a REAL ID?
Federal agencies can use your REAL ID to verify your identity. You can also use a REAL ID to:
Đang chơi bàiAccess federal facilities
Enter nuclear power plants
How can I get a REAL ID?
You can get a REAL ID when you apply for or renew your driver’s license or state identification card. Visit your state’s driver’s licensing agency websiteĐang chơi bài to find out exactly what documentation you’ll need to show to get a REAL ID. Your new license will have the new REAL ID-compliant star marking at the top of your ID card.
When must I have a REAL ID to board a plane?
Đang chơi bàiDue to the COVID-19 pandemic, the. On and after this date, you must have a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license/state ID or another acceptable form of ID to fly commercially within the U.S. This rule applies to all passengers 18 and over. If your ID is not compliant, you must have another form of ID that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) accepts. Otherwise you will not be permitted to go through security at the airport to board your flight.
Besides REAL ID-compliant driver’s licenses, other acceptable forms of ID to board a plane include:
Đang chơi bàiU.S. passports
Đang chơi bàiU.S. military IDs
Permanent resident cards
Government-issued passports from foreign countries
Get the entire .
What happens if I don’t get a REAL ID?
If you don’t get a REAL ID, you won’t be able to use your driver’s license or state ID card to board a plane in the U.S. You’ll have to show one of the other forms of ID that the TSA accepts. Other federal agencies may require a REAL ID for official purposes.
Can I still get a non-REAL ID-compliant identification card?
States do issue driver’s licenses and ID cards that are not REAL ID-compliant. Check with the proper federal, state, or local government agency to see what ID requirements they have for official purposes.Đang chơi bài
Are you taking your child on a plane? Your arms aren’t capable of holding your little one securely, especially in turbulence. Keep your child safe in a car seat or harness government-approved for use on planes. Follow these tips for flying with children:
- A child weighing 40 pounds or less should be strapped into a car seat or child safety harness approved for use on planes.
- Measure your car seat’s width. If it’s 16 inches or less, it should fit in most plane seats.
- Ask your airline for a discounted fare. Buying your child a ticket is the only way to guarantee you can strap your little one in.
- For more information, visit www.faa.gov/travelers/fly_children/
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.
Last Updated: August 3, 2020