Skip to main content

Federal Personnel Records and Employment Verification

Đang chơi bàiGet copies of your records, replace your ID, or verify employment.

Federal Civilian Personnel Records

Do you need copies of your federal civilian employee personnel records? Here's how to get them.

Current and Recently-Departed Employees 

Đang chơi bàiContact the human resources office of the agency where you work or worked.

  • Note that most agencies require a formal written request for the release of personal employment information.
  • If you are a former employee, contact your agency only if it's been less than 120 days since you left your job.
  • Find a list of U.S. government department and agency websites on

Former and Retired Employees

If you are a former or retired federal employee and it has been more than 120 days since you left your federal job, request your records from the . Make your request in writing, signed and dated, and include:

  • The full name under which you were formerly employed 
  • Your Social Security Number 
  • Your date of birth
  • Name(s) and location(s) of employing agencies
  • Beginning and ending dates of service

Send requests to:

National Personnel Records Center, Annex 
1411 Boulder Boulevard 
Valmeyer, IL 62295

Fax: 618-935-3014

NARA will not accept requests for information for personnel or any other type of records by phone. 

For other questions or concerns:

Federal Employment Verification

Do you need to verify that someone works or worked for the federal government?

Đang chơi bàiTo verify a current federal employee, contact the agency's human resources office. You can contact the same office, if they worked for an agency less than six months ago. Get started by:

  • Finding a federal agency

  • Đang chơi bàiUsing the government section of your local telephone directory

If the employee stopped working for a federal agency more than six months ago, submit a .


 smart card to its employees and contractors. The card's electronic chip contains the employee's personal data, including images of fingerprints and digital certificates that allow access to federal buildings and systems. 

The PIV smart card is mandated by .

Problems with smart cards

If your PIV smart card has been lost or stolen or you need help with other PIV issues, contact the agency that issued your card.

Share This Page:

Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

Đang chơi bàiLast Updated: August 20, 2020