Find Loans and Other Incentives
- Learn about the program. Loan amount and repayment terms are limited based on the type of property.
- Find out about the . It lets homebuyers and homeowners borrow an extra $35,000 through their mortgage for home repairs and improvements.
- For programs in your community, contact:
Your state office, or
Find information about or incentives in your state.
Đang chơi bàiReview a for Energy Star products and energy efficiency home improvements.
Help for Certain Demographic Groups
Veterans can contact the about:
Cash-out Refinance Loans, which can be used to pay for home repairs and improvements
Seniors can find tips on home safety of the Eldercare Locator website. You can order printed copies of publications such as:
The lets you search by state for funding, service providers, and other resources.
- Native Americans can get help with home repairs by:
Đang chơi bàiLearning more about
Đang chơi bàiCalling the
Rural residents can contact a for information about .
Am I Eligible for Home Repair Assistance?
Eligibility requirements vary from program to program. In general, it depends on:
The homeowner's age
Type of property
Đang chơi bàiWhere the property is located
How Do I Apply for Home Improvement Programs?
Reach out to the federal, state, or county government agency that administers the program. Loans are made by traditional lenders. But the government programs help these lenders make loans that they might normally not fulfill. Grants are available depending on your income level and work to be done.
To get started, contact:
Your local or county government housing office
What Else Do I Need to Know Before Starting a Home Repair?
Tips for Hiring a Contractor
Finding a good contractor to do repairs and improvements to your home is important. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) provides . These tips include important questions to ask and how to report problems.
Watch Out for Utility Lines Before You Dig - Call 811
Before digging on your property, . Utilities will come out to mark the area to help you avoid damaging or being injured by underground utility lines. The timing for processing your request differs from state to state. Some states allow for an .may be able to help with:
- Assistance to pay your heating or cooling bills
- Emergency services in cases of energy crisis, such as utility shutoffs
- Low-cost home improvements, known as weatherization, that make your home more energy efficient and lower your utility bills.
Đang chơi bàiLIHEAP funds may not be used to pay water and sewer bills.
Am I eligible for LIHEAP?
. Actual requirements may vary by state, city, or region. Each local LIHEAP office sets its own eligibility requirements.
- A person or family participating in certain other benefit programs, such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF or welfare), or certain needs-tested veterans benefits may be automatically eligible.
- Being qualified for LIHEAP does not guarantee that you will receive help. Whether or not you receive help depends on how much LIHEAP funding is available for the year.
- On average, about 20% of households that are qualified for LIHEAP receive benefits. When LIHEAP funds run out for the year, no more benefits can be given until Congress makes more funds available.
How do I apply for LIHEAP?
Each state has different rules about when you can apply, how you apply, and the criteria you have to meet to get help.
- Contact your for application details.
- Your state’s application may be online. Check the for a list of state applications available to print out, read, or submit online.
Who do I contact for extra LIHEAP help?
- To learn more about LIHEAP, see the program’s list.
- If you need help with your LIHEAP application, contact your or the .
Are there other places I can get help if I don't qualify for LIHEAP?
If your income is too high to qualify for LIHEAP but you need help paying for your energy bills, your local social services agencyĐang chơi bài or a nonprofit organization may have funds to help. You can also contact your gas, oil, or electric company about budget billing programs or new payment options especially for customers with disabilities who are on Supplemental Security Income (SSI)., a guide by the Federal Reserve Board.
Talk to a Qualified Credit Counselor
Before taking out a home equity loan, you should be careful and consider the pros and cons. You should explore alternatives with a credit counselor that do not put your home at risk of a forced sale. If you are unable to make payments on time, you could end up losing your home.
Đang chơi bàiContact a qualified credit counselor through the .
File a Complaint
If you have a problem with a home equity loan, you should contact the lender first. If you cannot resolve the issue with the lender, .Đang chơi bài provides low-income households with free weatherization services. The program's goal is to improve the energy efficiency of homes. Doing so can help families save on heating and cooling costs while staying safe and healthy.
Đang chơi bàiYou can use WAP to improve your home's heating, cooling, and electrical systems. You can also use it to upgrade energy-consuming home appliances.
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.
Last Updated: August 25, 2020