- Almost all men age 18-25 who are U.S. citizens or are immigrants living in the U.S. are with Selective Service. U.S. law calls for citizens to register within 30 days of turning 18 and immigrants to register within 30 days of arriving in the U.S.
- Men in the U.S. on student, visitor, or diplomatic visas and women are not required to register. For other exemptions and for transgender people, see the chart.
Đang chơi bàiThere are several ways to register with Selective Service. You can:
- , complete it, and mail it to the address on the form
- Get a registration form at the post office, complete it, and mail it in
- Complete the reminder mail back card if you receive one in the mail around your 18th birthday
- Register while you are applying for . Check “Register Me” in block 22 of the application
- Find out if your high school has a teacher or staff member designated as a Selective Service registrar who can help
- Get help from your nearest if you’re a U.S. citizen living overseas
Đang chơi bàiYou will receive a letter in the mail with your Selective Service registration card confirming that you’re registered. If you registered by mail, you should receive the letter in about 30 to 90 days. If you registered online, you should receive it within three weeks. The letter and card are your .
If you don’t receive the letter and card within 90 days, or if you need a replacement card, call 1-847-688-6888 and follow the prompts. Choose the option for receiving your own Selective Service number.
You are required to keep your registration information up-to-date until you turn 26. Contact the Selective Service System if:
Đang chơi bàiThere is an error on your registration card
If you move or change your name
Đang chơi bài If you've already registered but don't remember your Selective Service number, you may verify it online. To do so, fill out this .
Đang chơi bàiOther than receiving your proof of registration, nothing happens unless there’s a situation requiring a draft.
Đang chơi bàiThe Selective Service System will start calling registered men age 18-25 for duty. The men will be called in a sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth.
The men will be examined for mental, physical, and moral fitness for military service.
Đang chơi bàiThey'll either be or they’ll be inducted into the armed forces
, you will not be eligible for federal student aid, federal job training, or a federal job. You may be prosecuted and face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or jail time of up to five years. If you’re an immigrant to the U.S., you will not be eligible for citizenship.
Đang chơi bàiIf you never registered and are being , you may still be able to get it. To do so, you must provide evidence that you didn't intentionally avoid registering.
Find answers to frequently asked registration and draft questions on . To contact the Selective Service System, call 1-847-688-6888 or toll-free 1-888-655-1825Đang chơi bài Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.
Đang chơi bàiYou can also email: DMCSupport@sss.gov or DMCEspanol@sss.gov (Spanish). Agents will not be able to address issues requiring personally identifiable information, including:
Đang chơi bàiSocial Security number
Date of birth
Do you have a question?
Đang chơi bài Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.
Last Updated: April 13, 2020