Four Tips to Find Unclaimed Money
There is no central source to look for unclaimed money from the government that might be owed to you. Sometimes it can be hard to know where to start. With this tool you can access free, official sources of information to help you find your way.
Compass with a Stack of Gold Coins in the Center
- Search for unclaimed money and property in states where you have lived.
- Check for unclaimed funds from bank failures or unclaimed deposits from credit union closures.
- Check for unclaimed back wages, pension money, or life insurance funds.
- Search for unclaimed or undelivered tax refunds. Or, search for a refund from an FHA-insured mortgage.
Đang chơi bàiDon't fall for scams from people who pretend to be from the government. Never respond to offers that include sending you unclaimed money for a fee. Government agencies will not call you about unclaimed money or assets.
Brought to you by USAGov
. Perform your search using your name, especially if you’ve moved to another state.
Verify how to claim your money. Each state has its own rules about how you prove that you’re the owner and claim the money.
2. Search for Money from Employers
Unpaid Wages – The Department of Labor (DOL) may recover back wages for you if your employer broke labor laws. If you think you may be owed back wages from your employer:
of workers who have money waiting to be claimed. DOL holds unpaid wages for up to three years.
– Search for unclaimed pensions from companies that either:
Đang chơi bàiWent out of business or
Đang chơi bàiEnded a defined pension plan
3. Search for Money from Insurance
– Search the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) database for unclaimed insurance funds.
Đang chơi bàiThe VA may owe money to current or former policyholders or their beneficiaries.
This database doesn’t include funds from:
Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI) policies from 1965 to the present
– If you had an FHA-insured mortgage, you may be eligible for a refund. FHA insurance refunds are issued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Search the HUD database with your FHA case number. Case numbers have three digits, a dash, and the next six digits—for example, 051-456789.
4. Search for Money from Tax Refunds
– The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may owe you money if your refund was unclaimed or undelivered.
5. Search for Money from Banking and Investments
– Search for unclaimed funds from failed financial institutions. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) lists them.
Đang chơi bài – Find unclaimed deposits from credit unions.
– The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) lists enforcement cases in which a company or person owes investors money.
Savings Bonds – Use to find matured savings bonds that have stopped earning interest. You can also learn how to .
6. Search for Unclaimed Money from a Bankruptcy
Đang chơi bàiA bankruptcy creditor is someone who is owed money by a person or business which declares bankruptcy. Sometimes, the money owed to creditors remains undistributed by the bankruptcy court for a variety of reasons.
Đang chơi bàiCheck to see if you may be owed money using the .
7. International Unclaimed Money
– U.S. nationals can find money owed to them from foreign governments after the loss of property.page. You'll need to enter your Social Security number, filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of your refund. You may be prompted to change your address online.
You can also to check on the status of your refund. Wait times to speak with a representative can be long. But, you can avoid waiting by using the automated phone system. Follow the message prompts when you call.
If you move, submit a to the IRS; you should also submit a Change of AddressĐang chơi bài to the USPS.
Unclaimed Federal Tax Refunds
If you are eligible for a federal tax refund and don’t file a return, then your refund will go unclaimed. Even if you aren't required to file a return, it might benefit you to file if:
Đang chơi bàiFederal taxes were withheld from your pay
Đang chơi bàiYou qualify for the
Đang chơi bàiYou may not have filed a tax return because your wages were below the filing requirement. But you can still file a return within three years of the filing deadline to get your refund.
State Refund Checks
Đang chơi bàiFor information about your state tax refund check, .
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.
Last Updated: October 2, 2020